Don Honorio Ventura Technological State University (DHVTSU) started when an Augustinian friar named Fr. Juan P. Zita dreamed of helping the youth of Bacolor. Aided by equally benevolent civic leader Don Felino Gil, the school was officially founded on November 4, 1861 upon the approval of its statutes by Governor-General Lemery and was then called “Escuela de Artes Y Oficios de Bacolor.”
Through the several civic spirited Pampanguņeos' generous contribution amounting to P33,882.00, the school started its operations in a house charitably donated by Father Zita.
The school was named Bacolor Trade School in 1905. It was again renamed to be the Pampanga Trade School in 1909 and became popularly known as the “Trade School” or the “Poor-man’s College.” The secondary curriculum was offered in 1922 and the first batch graduated in courses of: Ironworks, Woodworks, and Building Construction for boys; and Domestic Science for girls.
By virtue of Republic Act 1388, the school was converted into a Regional School of Arts and Trades, and was renamed Pampanga School of Arts and Trades (PSAT). Technical education courses were offered in October, 1957.
In 1958, the Two-Year Technical Education curriculum was phased out and the Three-Year Trade Technical Education was offered. In 1964, the school was renamed Don Honorio Ventura Memorial School of Arts and Trades (DHVMSAT) in honor of Don Honorio Ventura, a prominent son of Bacolor who was a statesman and philanthropist. The renaming was signed by then President Diosdado Macapagal, protégé of Don Honorio Ventura who sent him to school and became instrumental in the former’s successes especially during his struggling years.
The teacher education curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education was offered in July, 1966 with the concentration in Shop work, Industrial Arts, and Mathematics. The first batch of BSIE graduates were conferred their degrees in April, 1969.
Through the priceless assistance of former Solicitor-General, Minister of Justice, and Pampanga Governor Estelito P. Mendoza, the school was converted into a state college on May 5, 1978 by virtue of Presidential Decree 1373.
One of the mandates of chartered institutions of higher learning like DHVTSU is to provide relevant quality education to its clientele, not only in the province of Pampanga but also in neighboring provinces in Central Luzon. Hence, new curricular programs like Bachelor of Science in Architecture, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, and Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering were offered in response to its vision and mission of delivering quality technological education to its service sector, especially the poor and underprivileged families. In 1989, due to the need for the offering of more relevant curricula, the BSIE Program was phased out and the BSED curriculum with major in Home Economics was offered.